Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bin Laden and photos about death

One of the reasons I love to travel so much is to learn about others. And, despite our many similarities  I realise more and more how different we humans, and our various cultures, are in many ways - and how we (I) can make huge mistakes by viewing a situation or event from my kiwi-centric upbringing. I'm not alone in this so place your own world view here!

At the moment we can see this with all the discussion about whether or not a photo of Osama Bin Laden's dead body should, or should not be shown. We will all consider this from our own cultural viewpoint.(some of which will double-standards of course!) I'm sure that at some stage this photo will be shown, but doubt it will be done by the USA authorities.
I was in Kerala, India around the time of  Saddam Husseins' death by hanging. With my 'western' outlook I was surprised to come across an outdoor exhibition of photos of his death. I thought I had taken photos of people viewing the photos, but it seems not - however I did take a picture of the poster advertising the exhibition. (An area I can well recommend you visit).


So when we find ourselves saying 'everyone' will 'think', 'says', or 'agrees' - remember, 'it ain't necessarily so'. While 'the west' may think a decision to show the photos would inflame some - for others, not showing it will inflame some others, and of course, play into the conspiracy brigades thoughts.

Here are a couple of photos of the wonderful Chinese nets they mention: the fisherman catch very little now-days so please help them by giving a little to help support their families - especially of you take photos!

No comments: