Sunday, December 20, 2009

Out of town and off line! (and a Prince too)

For the next week I will be not only out of town but also off line for a few days.

Buy while I'm still here, and still on the Indian theme of my last blog - on Thursday, I broke my shoes bought in Ernakulam especially for my trip to stay as a guest of a Prince. Well 'shoes' is a high-sounding name for flip-flops - or jandels as we call them in New Zealand.

I been told that Prince Shivaji Rao Holkar, son of the last Maharaja of Indore, expects his guests to dress for dinner when you stay in his fabulously restored palace  (read here  about my time there) and as I only had my backpacker clothes, had a salwar kaamez (tunic and pants and shawl) made for the occassion and bought some jandels to wear with them: these are the black flip-flops that broke 2 days ago - less than two hours after a  friend had just said "I like your jandels".

The complete outfit, shoes included, worked well for the three or four nights I was in Maheshwar with Prince Richard (I can well recomend it as a fabulous place to go to if you can, (more details here - and of course, tell him I sent you!)

So that's all about India, and me for now, see you in a week, in the meantime here's a photo of me on a different trip - to Gujarat to celebrate Navratri -  about 6 months before I went back to India  and travelled form north to south:  I must write some more travel pieces about the trip.

PS the child was sleepy and it was a good excuse to get off my feet after the nights of dancing .. it's the longest dance festival in the world  - nine nights!




.

No comments: