Thursday, August 4, 2011

Take a small break ... in Auckland


My latest little holiday started with a train trip on the Overlander, a 12-hour journey from Wellington to Auckland.  As Paul Theroux says ‘trains are the only way to travel’ - it certainly was relaxing – my only complaint was it was dark for the last 2 hours -  so my recommendation would be to do this when daylight saving is on … daylight all the way!

I stayed at the Quadrant Hotel  in central Auckland. Lovely! I had great harbour views and it’d very handy to many of the places I wanted to visit, and also close to the Britomart transport hub.
More stories are to follow, and as well as the train and hotel, what else will I be writing about?  Kelly Tarlton and the Auckland Zoo are ’must-sees’ for kids and adults.  Also, the zoo has its fabulous new Te Wao Nui opening in September (2011) so make sure you bookmark this page as that’s the first story I will be writing.
Help save me and my family by buying 'palm oil free' products
 The Auckland Museum is a traditional museum with interesting flourishes – it seems it’s also the only place in Auckland where you can experience a Maori cultural performance daily.
Local Maori also host guided walks (Tamaki Hikoi) and this was the perfect way to start an Auckland trip with family and local tribal history – it sort of sets the scene!
So, there’ s a taster of what’s to come ( and Parnell of course) . . .but, in the meantime check out the links above and come back here soon.
Editors are of course welcome to contact me for stories about any, or all, of these topics.

No comments: